Pilates For Children
(Our group classes contain a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 kids)
Unfortunately today’s children are the most inactive generation in history. Computer technology and not playful movement stimulate this generation of kids. As a result, many parents have concerns regarding their children’s physical conditioning and self-confidence – as well as the lack of programs available at fitness facilities or schools that specifically target core strength, coordination, balance and flexibility. This is where Pilates comes into play, literally. Pilates is the very form of exercise that works the entire body with emphasis on function for overall health.
Pilates is designed for both the non-athletic child as well as the competitive teen and is a smart way of getting children to participate in exercise because it caters to their various ages, fitness levels, and athletic abilities.
Benefits of Pilates for Children
- Perhaps the most important benefits for children are increased focus. Being able to centre the breath, hold various positions for a certain amount of time, and concentrate on mind-body fitness – are cornerstones for youths to challenge their energies into one activity. Pilates does exactly this and more.
- Pilates improves the way the body functions, looks and feels – and knowing one’s body inside and out can lead to greater self-esteem.
- Pilates also helps prevent injury on the playground or on the court – and is the basis for improving posture and increasing strength, balance, coordination and flexibility.
- Pilates can assist with weight management issues in younger people because it strengthens and lengthens core muscles without adding bulk, so children can learn to love their bodies no matter what.
- This form of fitness provides the perfect physical and mental platform necessary for children to excel in sports and in school.